Friday, May 23, 2008

Conversations With BOD

In the Winter of 2004 — it was around Thursday as I recall — an extraordinary phenomenon occurred in my life. BOD began talking with you. Through me.

I would explain, but I’m sure you already understand the story. Let me suffice it to say that BOD has been talking to you ever since you’ve been on this planet—and you have not been listening. Here is what your BOD-Y has been telling me to tell you. . . . .

"Hi. It’s Me: your body. It’s been a long time since we’ve spoken-- mainly because you won’t listen to me anymore. You haven’t really listened to me since you were about six, so I guess I shouldn’t be surprised. I really don’t have much space to say what I need to say because they don’t give BODies much press these days, so listen carefully."

"I’ve done everything I can to try to get through to you. I have gotten fatter. I have made myself tired, wrinkly, and withdrawn. I have even created pain to get you to listen to me. Would you please listen to me for a change so I don’t have to take even more extreme measures?"

"I have a few requests for you. Some might call them commandments, but I prefer requests, since that whole commandment idea seems so, shall we say, Old Age."

BOD’s 10 Requests

1) DO ONE THING A DAY TO NURTURE, ACKNOWLEDGE AND APPRECIATE ME
It will make both of us much happier. One woman in her forties nurtured her body by powdering it every evening, just like her mother used to. By doing only that, she lost twenty-five pounds in two months.

2) JUDGMENT
Stop judging me. It’s not my fault. I don’t look better or feel better from judgment. I do look and feel better from you being nurturing and caring—even to those parts that you’d like me to change. When you look in the mirror in the morning, make the conscious choice to STOP the litany of judgment that you start with each and every morning. Instead, say thank you to me and tell me how grateful you are for me. And wherever you bought the idea that judging what is “WRONG” with me will somehow make it right, will you please UNBUY that idea and return it to sender now? If you don’t know how, call up Dr. Dain. He’ll help you. 3) FUN: I was created for fun. What if the sole purpose of life were to have fun? Would you do anything differently? It’s fun for me to feel the sun on my skin, to be touched gently, to feel the water on my skin, to have great sex, and to MOVE in lots of different ways. I know you have had a different agenda than having fun (like fitting in, making money, getting married, having kids, etc.) ever since you became an adult, but would you please consider that my purpose in life is still to have fun? Just ask me what’s fun and then do it.

4) ASK ME ABOUT ME
Don’t do things that involve me without asking me how I feel about it, and don’t do anything to me without asking me first. That’s simple enough, right? Don’t shove hummus up my nose just because someone tells you it will make us feel sexy and lose weight.

5) HOW I LOOK
If you will just ask what it would take to get me to look the way you want me to, I would be happy to comply. I’ll let you know exactly what it will take. It’s just that you don’t ever ask and then take the time to listen.

6) EATING
I am the one eating. You are not. When it comes time to eat, ask me what I would like to eat. For me, it changes every day. I like meat some days, vegetables some days, fruit some days, and just dessert some days. You just assume that you like green beans so I should like green beans. I say again, I am the one eating! Ask me what I would like to eat.

7) EXERCISING
Please ask me what movement I would like to do, instead of making me do whatever exercise you’ve decided will work for me. I HATE to exercise. It sounds too much like EXORCISE. I’d rather MOVE! Moving is fun for me. But since you haven’t allowed me to move freely since about twelve years old, it’s not surprising that you are trying to get me to exercise to look and feel better.

8) FADS
Don’t buy the latest fad as to what will finally change me. I don’t need to be changed as much as I need to be listened to.

9) WHERE DOES THIS COME FROM?
For every pain, discomfort, and hunger, ask this simple question: “Where does this come from?” No answer is required. If the pain, discomfort, or hunger lessens when you ask this, it is not yours or mine. Just return it to sender. One overweight woman who ate several donuts a day at the office asked “Where does this come from?” every time she had a donut craving. She stopped eating donuts that day and started losing weight within days. True story.

10) I AM A BODY — YOU ARE AN INFINITE BEING
You are not inside of me. I am inside of you. That’s because you are infinite, which is really, really, really big. I’m too small to have you inside of me. But that doesn’t mean we shouldn’t have a connection and a communion. Right?

O.K. that’s it for now. BOD has spoken. Maybe one day we will get the Ten Requests/Commandments right.

Dain Heer, D.C.
www.accessbeing.com
www.accessconsciousness.com

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

haha! i love this...
a while back i'm not sure when... i started saying, "i love my body!" to myself whenever i would judge myself harshly... i would try and catch it and change the thought immediately! it feels so much better! "i love my body!"

so, the other day, we read this piece and the next day my friend asked her body what it wanted to eat and drink... and her body chose a salad and juice over a burger and a soda!!! so great!

Thanks Dain!

ease, joy, and glory... baby! YEAH!

Anonymous said...

I love this!
Some time ago I began a daily practice of expressing love and appreciation to my body while rubbing lotion into my feet. It felt great ... until I stopped doing it.

That was a step in the right direction, but I missed the most important part; listening!

Dain, I found you through the Sheila Show and I'm so glad I took the time to listen to your call and find you online. Thank you for all that you're sharing!